Knowledge Base

Child Custody / Visitation / Contact

Child Custody / Visitation / Contact

Contact With Grandparents

Articles0 Results

Our son passed away. When he was alive we were never very close to our daughter-in-law, though we were to our grandchildren. Although she kept up contact during the first year after our son’s death, she seems to have gradually drifted away. She and the children celebrate all the festivals with her parents, and we just don’t get to see the grandchildren. Is it acceptable for visitation rights to be formally set in such circumstances, and if, so, how often can we expect to see our grandchildren ?

Child Custody / Visitation / Contact Uncooperative Parent

Yes, it would be quite acceptable for a court to set visitation rights between grandparents and grandchildren following submission of a plea to this effect, regardless of whether the father is alive or not, whenever contact is denied, provided this is in line with the recommendations of a court-appointed social worker and/or agreement between the parties.

As a guideline , the frequency of visitation rights between minors and grandparents set is usually less than that set between minors and a non-custodial parent, though each case would be decided on its merits .

Our son suffered a bitter divorce. Our ex-daughter-in-law has custody and refuses to let us see our grandchildren without her presence – and only in her home. We would love to entertain them in our home, or take them out for a treat, as we used to do prior to the divorce but she refuses and starts taking it out on our son, too, if we “step out of line” and dare to ask about this. Do we have a right to meet our grandchildren without their mother’s presence ?

Child Custody / Visitation / Contact Contact With Grandparents

Yes , however grandparents will have to file a plea for visitation if their ex daughter-in-law, who is the custodial parent, refuses to allow them to meet the grandchildren, or , if so, only in her presence , or under very restricted conditions. The court can then decide on visitation rights – and how they should be exercised.

What action can grandparents take to see their grandchildren if their ex daughter-in-law is so unco-operative that in practice they are denied any contact ?

Child Custody / Visitation / Contact Contact With Grandparents

File for visitation rights at the family court.

Questions and Answers3 Results

* We hope you find our website useful and easy to use. Please note, however, that the information provided on it is not a substitute for personal legal counselling which is available upon payment.

Skip to content